The Ray Mears Multiway Dog Lead is a truly versatile tool for dog owners and designed to complement the Ray Mears Leather Dog Collar.
With two trigger clips and three fixing points all in solid brass, the versatility of this lead is astounding, allowing you to carry a single piece of equipment to cover the variety of circumstance often required by dog owners and walkers.
Lovingly created from the same sturdy yet supple British leather as our belts and individually crafted in house by our leather-worker of over 25 years’ experience. The leather is hand-dyed to Woodlore’s Rich Brown colour and shows all the beauty of its full natural grain. The edges are bevelled and hand-burnished with beeswax in dark brown and finished with a traditional crease line. Stitching is by hand using a rot-proof waxed and braided polyester thread in a colour to match the edges; a traditional stitching method using two needles creates a strong stitch and attractive finish. The Ray Mears 'snowshoe' logo is discreetly displayed within the stitching at the handle and near the clip end. The fittings are carefully placed to allow for a variety of uses:
- A full length lead of 1.8 metres (6 feet) to give your dog plenty of freedom to move. Keep the handle clip attached to the handle dee to keep it out of the way.
- A 1.3 metres (4 feet 4 inches) lead can be achieved by attaching the handle clip to the ring. With this set-up the generous loop created can also be used as a ‘hands-free’ option for well-behaved dogs.
- At 1 metre (3 feet 3 inches) the shortest single lead option can be made by threading the handle clip through the ring and clipping it to the dee near the collar, giving a convenient handle loop.
Shortening the lead by repositioning the handle clip can be done without detaching the lead from your dog’s collar so you are always in control.
- Two dogs can be walked together on a 90 cm (3 feet) lead by using both clips at the collars and creating a handle loop with the ring as above. You can add the second dog without unclipping the first.
- A close control option can be created by reversing the lead: clip the free-running ‘handle’ clip to the collar and the handle becomes your close control feature whilst the clip end can be attached to the ring to create a new handle.
With a clip at both ends and three attachment points the lead can be tethered to just about anything you can pass it around from a tree or post to a bench or bumper.
We think you will find ways to use this lead that we haven’t thought of and we look forward to hearing about them.
The leather used to make these leads is naturally tanned using bark (no pun intended) rather than chemicals and so has no inherent waterproofing. To aid with water repellency and to keep the leather supple we recommend application of a greasy leather feed prior to use and occasionally there-after. Make sure the leather is dry before you apply any feed. You can clean the leather with a damp cloth or sponge and saddle soap if required. A soft brush is useful for removing excess soap, dirt or feed from stitching. If the lead becomes very wet allow it to dry in an airy place away from direct heat.
- Thickness: 4.5 - 5 mm
- Total length approximately 1.8 metres
- Use in a variety of ways
- Colour: Rich Brown
- Solid cast brass fittings
- All dimensions are approximate
- Please note that the hand dying process creates variations in colour and tone across different hides so some collars and leads may not be a perfect match but we think this adds to the individuality and beauty of hand-crafted products
- If you purchase both a collar and lead together we will endeavor to select items that match as closely as possible