Woodlore Canadian Wilderness Canoe Expedition with Ray Mears and Becky Mason
Many Trees - One Forest
You will paddle, set up your simple camp, learn some of the traditional Ojibwa bush skills, swim in the warm, pristine waters, fish for pike, walleye and lake trout and perhaps witness the northern lights and the milky way shimmering on the surface of a lake.
You are invited to join me on a very special expedition to discover the magic of the boreal forest in late summer. Our journey will take us through some of the most stunning wilderness to be found in North-eastern Ontario. There is of course only one choice of transport here, the most perfect craft ever invented for travelling in the northern wilderness, the Canadian Canoe.
Before we depart on our canoeing adventure, I have arranged for us to make a special visit to the Temagami first nations community on Bear Island for a cultural introduction to the region. There will be time to explore the island with a visit to the Canoe House, the First Nation community cultural learning space. After a good night’s rest with our outfitter, the journey will then begin in earnest as we are inserted into the wilderness.
With many years' experience travelling in the boreal forest I have chosen a route to provide the very best opportunity to understand both the forest itself and the canoe as a means of travel in the Canadian Shield. Although nothing can be guaranteed in terms of sighting wildlife, we will have superb opportunities to observe the animals of the forest. It is not at all unusual to hear the howls of a wolf pack in the evening, to encounter moose, beaver, woodland caribou or even lynx. As we travel I shall mentor in animal tracking and the traditional skills of bushcraft appropriate to forest travel by canoe.
I have also invited along Becky Mason and her husband Reid to join us as VIP guests. The name Mason is inextricably associated with canoeing in Canada. Through his written work and superb documentary films, Becky's late father Bill Mason, became the doyen of Canadian canoeing. Today the Mason family continues to champion canoeing in Canada. Becky and Reid are internationally acclaimed canoeists who specialize in the very beautiful and highly skilful Canadian Style Paddling. From personal experience I can guarantee that any time spent paddling in their company will greatly improve your personal ability and Becky has offered to provide paddling skills workshops en route. But beyond her extraordinary paddling ability and teaching skill, Becky is a child of nature - a wonderful interpreter of the Canadian wilderness.
Our journey itself will be a slice of Canadian culture. Having been dropped off we shall paddle for 12 remarkable days of reliance on self and nature. We will paddle on both still and moving water; we will portage between waterways. The weather may be sultry or we may be challenged by rain accompanied by the crashing of the thunderbird overhead. We will stop in good places to explore, fish and learn about the forest en-route.
This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in nature and step back for a time to a more natural rhythm of life, to pause and be serenaded by the call of the loon.
- Ray MearsCanada
The Woodlore Wilderness Canoe Expedition - Logistical points:
- To participate in this expedition you will need to have a good level of physical fitness; You will be taking part on an adventure through both moving and flat water, you will also be embarking on portages of varying length.
- This expedition is for adults and therefore participants will need to be aged 18 years or older to attend.
- This trip is ideal for those who have already attended the Woodlore Canoeing in the Ardeche Expedition or have passed the British Canoe Union's 3 Star Canoeing Award. However, we will happily consider other experience/qualifications you may have. Please contact the office to discuss this.
- During the expedition you will be camped in groups as well as have the opportunity to be camped alone to give a real sense of isolation and the wilderness around you.
- All meals will be provided on this trip along with your basic canoeing and camping gear. You will just need to bring your clothing with you.
- An extensive kit list and full joining instruction paperwork will be sent to you once we have received your full payment for the course.
- You will be responsible for booking your own flights according to our recommendations. You will fly out to Canada on 6th September to start your journey. You will then depart Canada on 21st September and will land in the UK on 22nd September.
Dates, Costs and BookingsPlease select a course date Please ensure that you read our Terms & Conditions prior to booking your place.
2024 Dates - Woodlore Canadian Wilderness Canoe Expedition with Ray Mears and Becky Mason
Cancellation Notification Saved
Your course cancellation notification for Woodlore Canadian Wilderness Canoe Expedition with Ray Mears and Becky Mason was saved.
Be the first to share your opinion!
Let other people know your thoughts about this course.