Product Photos (1)
Please click an image to zoom in, or hover over an image for its description.
This DVD was released alongside the Ray Mears Goes Walkabout book to accompany Ray's television series Ray Mears Goes Walkabout. Order today and save 60% off the RRP in Woodlore's Spring Sale.
The set consists of two DVDs containing the following programmes:
- DESERT - Ray Mears is in desert survival mode as he follows in the footsteps of an unsung hero of Australian exploration to find out how John McDouall Stuart became the first European to succeed in crossing this continent from South to North and back again. Ray shows how to wring water from these barren lands and how travelling light is the key to success on such an epic journey.
- THE BUSH TUCKER MAN - Ray Mears makes a journey across Queensland with Les Hiddins - The Bushtucker Man. There's no-one else in the world quite like these two men, they both share a love of the wilderness and have learnt much of what they know from indigenous people. Each of them has already left his mark on the world of Bushcraft, now they get to work together for the first time ever.
- TORRES STRAIT - Ray Mears travels to the Torres Strait Islands to learn how the island lifestyle has helped them retain much of their Bushcraft and knowledge. He finds out how these skills helped people survive during the Second World War and tells the story of Barbara Thompson, a young woman who was ship wrecked in the mid nineteenth century and survived despite the islands' reputation for cannibalism at the time.
- ROCK ART - Rock Art is incredibly important to the Australian Aboriginal way of life and the Kimberley area of North West Australia is full of it. Ray travels with an aboriginal artist to learn more about the significance of the art of the area and even has a go at painting in the aboriginal style himself.
Exclusive extra footage shot on location especially for this DVD:
- Travelling light (I wish...)
- Ray and Les on Working together
- Plants and fruit of the Torres Strait Islands
- The guns of John McDouall Stuart at the History Trust of South Australia
- Making a Wap (an Aboriginal Fishing Spear from Torres Strait)
- Tracking in the Desert
- The Magpie Goose Dance
- Playing a Yidaki
DVD 9x2, ALL-REGIONS. Running time: 265 minutes. English subtitles. Will this DVD work outside of the UK?
To view clips of this DVD click here.
The parabolic mirror fire-lighting tool - the Solar Spark Lighter - that Ray uses in this series can be purchased from our online shop.
To the best of our knowledge, all kit specifications are accurate, although these can vary at times. We aim to dispatch all orders by the next working day.
Send to a Friend
Use the form below to recommend a friend to this page. Please enter your name and message, and then click on the Send
button. Please enter values for
all fields, otherwise your message will not be sent.